In addition to my teaching and research as an education professor at the University of British Columbia, as well as my writing projects, I work with private clients through a process of Narrative Coaching, often involving career and relationships but not limited to these, as well as through Writing Coaching focused on writing planning, support, and guidance on prose or speaking.
Drawing on learning tools such as emotional intelligence, intuition, and creativity, Narrative Coaching is a process that allows people to transform their personal stories around career or relationships. Using a process called REWRITE (see my book Rewriting Our Stories), a narrative coaching session could achieve any of the the following areas (and more!):
- Explore what you want and need in your career, money, relationships, health, or personal growth.
- Identify how you feel about the current stories and belief systems governing your life.
- Rewrite your story to reflect your needs and wants in the present, while acknowledging the past and future.
- Unravel and then resolve issues blocking your new stories, such as socialized belief systems, your mind, competing stories, or fear and anxiety.
- Establish practical methods to believe and live your new stories.
- Address fear of change and forward movement — that is, what’s getting you stuck in life.
- Cultivate more gratitude in your life.
I also work with clients on personal and professional prose and speech writing. Part of this work looks as the ways people build their stories in written or oral form, whether it is creative, non-fiction, or speaking. The other part, which is usually the most popular service, helps writers build a writing plan for success. With some focused guidance, I can help you through some of the following experiences:
- Do you struggle with procrastination?
- Are you feeling like an imposter when writing?
- Do you have a great idea but don’t know where to take it?
- Do you have a article or book completed but need publishing strategies?
- Are you seeking step-by-step guidance toward developing writing strategies to achieve your goals?
Interested in working with me?
People can work with me in two ways: 1) Narrative Coach; 2) Writing Coach. I offer both services through personalized sessions or online courses. For online courses, please see the Teaching section of this website. (Note: If you are an interested graduate student, then please contact me through my academic website at the University of British Columbia.)
I offer potential coaching clients a free 20 minute info. session. Regular sessions last an hour. Sessions with clients are conducted virtually by Zoom, Skype, or telephone, largely because I work with many international clients across different time zones.
Please contact me below for a free 20 minute session and pricing details.
Derek is compassionate and holds a safe and loving space for clients. I have been working with Derek on relationship issues for over a year and benefited much from his intuitive guidance and tools. As a result, I’m able to embrace all parts of myself and others on a deeper level. My relationships with my loved ones are now more open and harmonious.
FRANCES TIEN, CERTIFIED INTUITIVE & MIND BODY SPIRIT PRACTITIONER
After our hour together, Derek helped me recognize a few of my stumbling blocks in moving forward. The shift was immediate once I put my plan into action, and it only took removing a few pictures from my office as a start.